Food Safety & Hygiene Course for Food Handlers
Our bodies need food to stay healthy and strong. Sometimes the food we eat can make us very sick if it is
not made safely. When someone gets sick from something they eat or drink, we call it a Foodborne
According to the centre for disease control, it is estimated that each year in Nigeria alone, there are 25
million cases of foodborne illness resulting in 327,000 hospitalizations and 5000 deaths.
By Law, all food handlers must have an understanding of the basic principles of Food Hygiene and know
how to work safely so as to protect the food they serve from contamination.
This online Food Safety and Hygiene course is designed to provide food handlers in the catering sector
with the essential practical training to enable them provide safe food to consumers.
Who should take this course?
This course is suitable for Food handlers in all disciplines of the catering sector, including restaurants,
hotels, cafes, bars, fast food outlets, takeaways, mobile food trucks, kitchens, hospitals, schools and
colleges, bakeries and anybody involved in catering business or services.
Aims of the training: By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand why food hygiene and safety practices are essential for all food handlers in a catering
- Understand the different ways in which food can be contaminated and how these risks can be
- Have a knowledge of the way bacteria can affect food and make it unfit for consumption
- Understand the importance of personal hygiene when working in a catering premises
- Be able to state the safe temperature for cooking, chilling and freezing food, and understand how
to take temperature readings
- Understand the importance of cleaning schedules, managing waste and pest control
- Introduction to food safety and hygiene, the basics of a HACCP food safety management system
- Microbiological Hazards – the top 10 causes of food poisoning, preventing food poisoning
outbreaks, controlling temperature and time, low and high risk foods, cross contamination,
common food poisoning bacteria, food spoilage, food preservation and preventing microbiological
- Physical, Chemical and Allergenic Hazards – types of physical contamination and controlling
physical contamination, chemical hazards and controlling chemical contamination, allergenic
contamination and controlling allergens.
- Food Storage – choosing a supplier, food distribution and deliveries, food labelling and storage,
use by and best before dates, refrigerator and temperatures, freezing and defrosting and stock
- Food Preparation – cooking, reheating, taking food temperatures, how to take a food
temperature, hot holding, cooling food and food service.
- Personal Hygiene – food handler responsibilities, hand hygiene, hand washing procedures,
protective gloves, bad habits, illness, hair, jewellery and smoking and protective clothing
- Food Premises Design and Cleaning Schedules – food premises and the law, principles of
design, waste management, cleaning and disinfection, cleaning schedules, safe cleaning, six stages
of cleaning, cleaning food storage areas and chillers, dishwashers, pests and preventing pests
End of Course Assessment/ Examination
An online assessment is taken on completion of the training. You will be asked multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 50%. The answers are marked automatically so you instantly know
whether you have passed. If you don’t pass, do not worry! You can take the test as many times as you
need with no extra charge.
On successful completion of the course, participants will be issued with a personalized DPR/ Shell
Accredited Certificate in Food Handling, and delivered by post (DHL delivery service) the next
Fee for postal delivery of certificate by DHL: To be determined.