SPDC Contractor/Employee HSE Competence Training Level 1, 2 & 3
By Law, HSE Competence is essential for all employees in industry to ensure that workplace risks are recognized and managed effectively. In line with this statutory provision, the Shell Petroleum
Development Company (SPDC) set up a HSE training programme where independent external bodies train and certify persons for
the oil and gas industry.
This 3-level online HSE training programme is designed to provide participants with a thorough
understanding of the different aspects of health and safety in the workplace with a view to ensuring
compliance with the laws.
Note: Work in oil and gas companies are restricted to persons who are HSE competent certified.
Aspiring safety officers
- Plant operators
- Site supervisors
- Construction workers
- Rig workers
- Oil and Gas operators
- Workshop supervisors
- All other persons who are not familiar with the concept of HSE as it affects their roles in the workplace.
Basic HSE (Level 1)
- Introduction to Health, Safety & Environment
SPDC HSE Policies, Rules & Regulations
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Fire safety/ First Aid & CPR
- Importance of HSE Incident Reporting & Investigation
- Introduction to Occupational Health
- Introduction to Environmental issues
HSE Appreciation (Level 2)
- HSE Risk Assessment
Principle/Practice of Unsafe Act Auditing
- Journey Management System/ Defensive Driving
- Emergency Response on site
- Permit to Work System (PTW)
- Job Hazard Analysis (JHA)
- Environmental Protection/ Waste Mgt/ Environmental agencies
- CPR Methodology & Techniques
HSE Supervision (Level 3)
- HSE Management System (HSE – Ms) / ISO 14001
Hazard and Effect Management Process (HEMP)
- Contingency Management
- Medical evacuation procedure/principles of Resuscitation
- Logistics HSE (Transportation safety)
- Safety statistics (Data management)
- Managing Community Affairs
- Security Management/ Security Planning/ Policy on asset production.
End of Course Assessment/ Examination
An online assessment is taken on completion of the training. You will be asked multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 50%. The answers are marked automatically so you instantly know
whether you have passed. If you don’t pass, do not worry! You can take the test as many times as you
need with no extra charge.
On successful completion of the course, each participant will be issued with the following personalized
DPR/Shell Accredited Certificates:
- Basic HSE (Level 1)
- HSE Appreciation (Level 2)
- HSE Supervision (Level 3)
These 3-level certificates will be delivered to each successful participant through the post (DHL delivery
service) the next working day.
Fee for postal delivery of certificate by DHL: To be determined.